June 5, 2020 Update
June 5, 2020: Montgomery County and the Towns of Blacksburg and Christiansburg are reopening facilities to the public on Monday, June 15, after several months of government facilities being closed due to COVID-19 (coronavirus) precautions.
The three localities’ administrative buildings – the Montgomery County Government Center, the Blacksburg Municipal Building, and Christiansburg Town Hall – will reopen with social distancing in place and face coverings required for entry, per Commonwealth of Virginia Executive Order 63.
While the public is welcome in these facilities, citizens are strongly encouraged to continue using online services when possible. If you have questions about specific local government operations or alternative means for conducting business, visit the links provided below:
- Town of Blacksburg: www.blacksburg.gov/covidoperations
- Town of Christiansburg: www.christiansburg.org/covidoperations
- Montgomery County: www.montva.com/status
The Blacksburg Community Center, the Blacksburg Aquatic Center, the Christiansburg Recreation Center and the Christiansburg Aquatic Center will also reopen on June 15, with adjusted hours and operations and by appointment only. The aquatic centers will only be open for lap swimming and limited programming. Per Executive Order 65, recreational swimming and use of the slides and other water features are not permitted in this phase of reopening.
- For information on hours and operations and to make appointments at the Blacksburg Community Center and Blacksburg Aquatic Center, please visit www.blacksburg.gov/covidoperations or call us at 540-443-1140 (Community Center) or 540-443-1120 (Aquatic Center).
- For information on hours and operations and to make appointments at the Christiansburg Recreation Center and Christiansburg Aquatic Center, please visit www.christiansburg.org/covidoperations or call us at 540-382-2349 (Recreation Center) or 540-381-7665 (Aquatic Center).
The Town of Blacksburg and Town of Christiansburg are in the process of developing a series of limited summer camp programs. In addition, Montgomery County and the Towns of Blacksburg and Christiansburg are working on options for youth and adult sports. These summer camp and sports programs - all of which will accommodate social distancing and group gathering guidelines - will be announced once finalized.
On Monday, June 8, all playgrounds, outside basketball courts and shelters will reopen in Montgomery County and the Towns of Blacksburg and Christiansburg. The Hill, Blacksburg’s Municipal Golf Course, will reopen Saturday, June 6.
As we all continue to do our part to prevent the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), we ask that you please continue to practice good infection control by:
- Staying home as much as possible, especially if you are at higher risk of serious illness. If you must go out in public, wear a cloth face covering;
- Staying home when you are sick;
- Avoiding contact with sick people;
- Covering your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing;
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available;
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth;
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces;
- Practicing social distancing. Maintain at least six feet of space between yourself and other individuals when out in public; and
- Avoiding close contact with crowds of any size.
Should you feel ill, please follow the guidelines outlined below:
- CALL your health care provider or your local health department (do not go to the emergency room).
- The New River Health District has activated a local public health hotline at 540-267-8240, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. – noon; Sunday, noon – 4 p.m.
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) also has a public health hotline at 877-ASK-VDH3, available weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Call 2-1-1 Virginia.