- Emergency Preparedness
- COVID-19 Updates
- Archived COVID-19 Local Updates
- March 19, 2020 Update
March 19, 2020 Update
Montgomery County, Town of Blacksburg, and Town of Christiansburg Close Government Facilities to the Public Mar. 20
A message from County Administrator, Craig Meadows, Town of Blacksburg Manager, Marc Verniel, and Town of Christiansburg Manager, Randy Wingfield
In response to COVID-19 (coronavirus), Montgomery County and the towns of Blacksburg and Christiansburg are closing government facilities to the public, effective at 5 p.m. on Thurs. Mar. 19. The closures will be revisited and any revisions announced during the week of Mar. 30.
Public safety functions to include law enforcement and emergency services are still operational. However, citizens will be asked additional health screening questions by 911 operators, law enforcement, and first responders.
During this time, the following local government functions will continue:
- Emergency Services and Public Safety
- Blacksburg Transit Service
- Operations at the Montgomery County Court House (some restrictions apply)
- Utility Operations
- Operations at Consolidated Sites (Montgomery County residents) and Garbage and Recycling Pickup (town of Blacksburg and Christiansburg residents)
If you have questions about specific local government operations during this time, visit the respective links provided below:
- Town of Blacksburg: www.blacksburg.gov/covidoperations
- Town of Christiansburg: www.christiansburg.org/covidoperations
- Montgomery County: www.montva.com/status
Government facilities closed to the public:
- Blacksburg Transit
- Montgomery County Animal Care and Adoption Center
- Montgomery County Department of Social Services (limited in-person interactions)
- Montgomery County Human Services Offices
- Montgomery County Public Safety Building
- Montgomery County Government Center
- Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library Branches
- Town of Blacksburg Municipal Building
- Town of Blacksburg and Town of Christiansburg Recreation and Aquatic Centers
- Town of Christiansburg Town Hall
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we do our best to continue necessary local government functions while keeping our employees safe during this time. As we all continue to do our part to prevent the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), we ask that you please continue to practice good infection control by:
- washing your hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer,
- keeping household surfaces clean (including cell phones),
- coughing or sneezing into a tissue (and discard it) or your elbow,
- avoiding touching your face,
- practicing “social distancing,”
- avoiding shaking hands,
- remaining at home if you’re sick, and
- avoiding others who are sick.
Should you feel ill, please follow the guidelines outlined below:
(Symptoms of coronavirus - www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/symptoms.html)
- CALL your health care provider or your local health department (do not go to the emergency room).
- The New River Health District has activated a local public health hotline at 540-267-8240, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. – noon; Sunday, noon – 4 p.m.
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) also has a public health hotline at 877-ASK-VDH3, available weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Call 2-1-1 Virginia
For updates related to coronavirus and the impact on our community, visit www.montva.com/coronavirus.