Spring & Fall Cleanup FAQs

2023 Fall Cleanup will run from Oct. 9-20.

In April and October of each year, the Town of Christiansburg’s Public Works Department offers a free special collection period. Spring and Fall Cleanup are each two-week periods during which time residents may place out larger items for pickup. Learn more below.

I have items I need picked up! Do I set them out with my regular trash?

Yes, just make sure these items are separated from your regular trash. Place items within 10 feet of the street pavement.

Items are typically collected on your regular pick up day. On occasion, the special collections truck runs a little behind schedule due to high volume of materials. If it is nearing the end of the clean-up cycle and your materials have not been collected, please call 540-382-1151.

Also remember to separate materials by type. Pile bagged leaves, tree limbs and trimmings in separate piles. Loose materials must be placed in containers not exceeding 32 gallons. Place piles at least three feet from any objects (including garbage and recycling containers). 

Pile tree limbs, 4-inches in diameter and smaller, separate from logs and tree limbs larger than 4-inches. Logs must be no longer than 4 feet. Please remove all limbs. Do not block drainage ditches, gutters and sidewalks, water meters and sewer cleanouts.

During Fall and Spring Cleanup, all residents are strongly encouraged to move any items away from the street that are not intended for pickup (i.e. basketball goals, lawn and gardening equipment, etc.). It can be difficult for cleanup crews to determine which items are intended for the pickup and which are not, so please move all personal property back from the street. The Town will not be responsible for any items left at or near the street that residents did not intend to have hauled away.  

What items will the Town pick up?

The Town will pick up the following items:

  • Furniture
  • Appliances, including sinks and tubs (limit 2 per household)
    • For appliances with doors (such as fridges, freezers or dishwashers), please remove the doors.
  • Passenger car and truck tires (limit 4 per household; no larger than 20-inches)
  • Tire rims (no limit)
  • Tree limbs, trimmings, brush
  • Leaves (bagged only) - If you do not want to bag your leaves, you can place loose leaves out during Leaf Pickup, which typically runs in November and December, weather permitting.
  • Landscape timbers
  • Paint cans and sealer cans (only if open and dry)
  • Barrels / drums (only if dry, ends are removed and did not contain hazardous material)
  • Railroad ties / timbers (limit 5 per household)

What items will not be picked up?

The Town will not pick up any of the following items:

  • Construction and demolition materials (including, but not limited to, wood, metal, concrete, stone, etc.)
  • Heavy machinery
  • Automobile parts
  • Kerosene heaters
  • Fuel oil tanks of any size
  • Commercial truck, tractor/trailer tires
  • Hazardous household wastes (such as paint, pesticides and cleaning chemicals)
  • Tree/brush materials associated with land/lot clearing for construction
  • Tree stumps
  • Electronic components such as televisions and computers

I want to throw out an item not on the list. What should I do?

We are happy to help ensure all of your items are acceptable for pick up. Please call the Town at 540-382-1151.

Will the Town pick up household hazardous waste?

The Town does not pick up household hazardous waste. Please do not include these items to be picked up.

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is waste that is considered to be: toxic, poisonous, corrosive, reactive, flammable or combustible. Read the label on products to determine if it is a hazardous product. Words like "poison," "danger," "warning" or "caution" will alert you of the potential hazard. These products should not be disposed of in the landfill. Please do NOT place these items in your regular household garbage or recycling. 

Instead, please dispose of these items at one of the New River Resource Authority’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection events. Learn more at www.newriverresourceauthority.org.

The Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority (555 Authority Drive, Christiansburg, VA 24073) will hold a Household Hazardous Waste event on Saturday, Nov. 11, 2023. This event is by appointment only. You may call 540-381-2820 to schedule an appointment. Learn more at www.mrswa.com.

What can I do with my old paint?

Please do not include any paint for pick up.

For information on how to dispose of old paint, please contact the Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority by calling 540-381-2820 or visiting their website.

What do I do with electronic waste?

If you have electronic waste (i.e. televisions, computers), please contact the Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority by calling 540-381-2820 or visiting their website.