Due to forecasted inclement weather, the Christiansburg Recreation Center and the Christiansburg Aquatic Center will open at noon on Thursday, Feb. 18. All scheduled Parks and Recreation programs for Thursday, Feb. 18, have been canceled.
Staff will be monitoring weather conditions and may post additional facility delays or closures. For the most up-to-date information, please visit www.christiansburg.org or follow the Town at www.facebook.com/cburgvagov or www.twitter.com/cburgvagov.
At this time, both garbage and recycling collection are scheduled to operate as normal on Feb. 18; however, Public Works staff will assess the road conditions the morning of Thursday, Feb. 18, and updates will be shared on the Town's website, social media platforms and via Citizens Alert if collection is suspended or delayed.
Blacksburg Transit service in both Christiansburg and Blacksburg has been canceled for Feb. 18, and the New River Health District's vaccination site will be closed on Feb. 18. An robocall will be sent/has already been sent to individuals with vaccination appointments scheduled for Thursday.
Public Works crews pretreated primary routes, hills and Town facilities with brine on Wednesday, Feb. 17. This salt and water solution does not stop ice or snow from accumulating on pavement, but it does help crews with de-icing or snow removal operations. Crews will begin 24-hour snow removal operations at midnight on Feb. 18 and will remain in them for the duration of the event. For more information for how Public Works operates during winter weather, visit www.christiansburg.org/winterweather.
With significant freezing rain in the forecast for some areas, the Town encourages motorists to avoid nonessential travel as ice can create hazardous driving conditions.
As a reminder, please do not call 911 unless you are having or reporting an emergency. The following resources are available:
- Christiansburg Police (non-emergency): 540-382-4343
- Christiansburg Public Works (non-emergency): 540-382-1151
- Christiansburg Public Works (emergency, such as a water line break, or after-hours; this number dials the NRV 911 Center, and dispatchers communicate with the necessary parties to address your call): 540-382-4343
- Appalachian Power: (800) 956-4237
- Latest Road Conditions: Call the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) at 511
- To report inoperable traffic signals and other road issues: 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623)