The Town of Christiansburg will host the semi-annual Fall Cleanup from October 3 through October 16. During this time, the Town will collect special items placed out at the curb at no cost to the resident. These special materials must be placed out on the resident’s regular garbage collection day. (Note: The special collection trucks may run behind schedule due to volume but will attempt to follow the regular solid waste pickup schedule.) While there is no charge for items picked up during this time, there will be a charge assessed for items placed out after October 16.
Items must be placed within 10 feet of the street pavement and must be placed in piles separate from normal trash. Loose materials must be placed in bags and/or containers not exceeding 32 gallons. Place piles at least three feet from any objects (including garbage and recycling containers).
During Fall Cleanup, all residents are strongly encouraged to move any items away from the street that are not intended for pickup (i.e. basketball goals, lawn and gardening equipment, personal cans or containers, etc.). It can be difficult for cleanup crews to determine which items are intended for pickup and which are not, so please move all personal property back from the street. Any containers or personal cans left at the street will be removed with cleanup items unless clearly marked “do not remove.” The Town will not be responsible for any items left at or near the street that residents did not intend to have hauled away.
Examples of items the Town will pick up during Fall Cleanup include:
- Appliances including sinks and tubs (limit 2 per household)
- Passenger car & truck tires (limit 4 per household; no larger than 20-inches)
- Tire rims (no limit)
- Tree limbs, trimmings, brush
- Leaves (bagged only). If you do not want to bag your leaves, you can place loose leaves out during Leaf Collection, which will run November 2 through the end of December, weather permitting.
- Landscape timbers
- Paint cans and sealer cans (only if open and dry)
- Barrels/drums (only if dry, ends are removed and did not contain hazardous material)
- Railroad ties/timbers (limit 5 per household)
Separate materials into piles by material type. Pile bagged leaves, tree limbs and trimmings in separate piles. Pile tree limbs - 4-inches in diameter and smaller - separate from logs and tree limbs larger than 4-inches. Logs must have a maximum length of 4 feet. Please remove all limbs. Do not block drainage ditches, gutters and sidewalks, water meters and sewer cleanouts.
Examples of items the Town WILL NOT pick up during Fall Cleanup include:
- Any construction and demolition materials (including but not limited to wood, metal, concrete, stone, etc., except as noted above)
- Heavy machinery
- Automobile parts or accessories
- Kerosene heaters
- Fuel oil tanks of any size
- Commercial truck, tractor/trailer tires
- Hazardous household wastes such as paint, pesticides and cleaning chemicals (see note below)
- Tree/brush materials associated with land/lot clearing for construction
- Tree stumps
- Pressurized containers
- Electronic components such as televisions and computers (see note below)
Residents are encouraged to call Public Works at (540) 382-1151 for clarification before placing out questionable items. Information can also be found on the Town website at www.christiansburg.org/cleanupFAQ or by calling Town Hall at 382-6120.
The Town does not pick up household hazardous waste. Please do not include these items to be picked up. Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) (including paint, pesticides and cleaning chemicals) is waste that is considered to be: toxic, poisonous, corrosive, reactive, flammable or combustible. Read the label on products to determine if it is a hazardous product. Words like "poison," "danger," "warning" or "caution" will alert you of the potential hazard. Please dispose of these items at one of the New River Resource Authority’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection events. The New River Resource Authority (7100 Cloyd’s Mountain Road, Dublin, VA 24084) will hold a Household Hazardous Waste event on Saturday, September 12, 2020. This event is by appointment only. You may call 540-674-1677 to schedule an appointment on or after Tuesday, August 4, 2020. The event will also be offering document shredding and electrical/universal waste disposal. Learn more at www.newriverresourceauthority.org.