The Town of Christiansburg has been closing its recycling drop-off sites throughout the year, and though the final two site closures were delayed by COVID-19, they are now scheduled to take place over the next two months.
The site at Home Depot (200 Conston Ave.) will close on Aug. 19, and the site at Christiansburg High School (100 Independence Blvd.) will close on Sept. 18. Message boards with these closures dates have been placed at both sites.
The Town has been offering curbside recycling service to its residents since July 1, 2018, and introduced curbside recycling service to businesses on February 1, 2020. Because curbside service is now a reality, there is less need for recycling drop-off sites around town. There has also recently been an increase in contamination and trash-dumping at the Town’s recycling drop-off sites, causing much of the recycling from those sites to be rejected.
In February, March and April, the Town closed the recycling drop-off sites on Cambria Street, Betty Drive and Roanoke Street. The Home Depot and Christiansburg High School sites were originally scheduled to be closed in May and June, respectively, but were delayed due to COVID-19.
For those interested in still utilizing drop-off sites, Montgomery County offers locations that are staffed to reduce contamination and trash-dumping. The County’s ten sites accept recycling and garbage. All Town residents can visit the following locations:
- Coal Bank Hollow: 200 Coal Bank Hollow Rd., Blacksburg, VA 24060
- Ellett Valley: 910 Luster’s Gate Rd., Blacksburg, VA 24060
- Elliston-Lafayette: 5231 Enterprise Dr., Elliston, VA 24087
- McCoy: 5455 McCoy Rd., McCoy, VA 24111
- Merrimac: 751 Merrimac Rd., Christiansburg, VA 24073
- Plum Creek: 1515 Hornsby Dr., Christiansburg, VA 24073
- Price’s Fork: 4680 Price’s Fork Rd., Blacksburg, VA 24060
- Riner: 1612 Auburn School Dr., Riner, VA 24149
- Rogers: 2750 Pilot Rd., Pilot, VA 24068
- Wayside: 3985 Wayside Dr., Christiansburg, VA 24073