Due to the expected inclement weather tonight, Oct. 31, we encourage neighborhoods or organizations that may have events scheduled to closely monitor the weather and proceed accordingly, moving activities indoors when possible.
The Town has moved its Market After Dark event to inside the Christiansburg Recreation Center today from 3-7 p.m. Please see this link for additional details of the event.
The Town of Christiansburg does not regulate trick-or-treating, and each neighborhood typically decides how to handle dates and times. We understand that because of tonight’s forecast, some neighborhoods may decide to trick-or-treat another day. Please be aware that there may be an increased amount of foot traffic during the evening hours, and of course, please be extra cautious while driving as many families may still choose to participate in outside activities.
Helpful Halloween Safety Tips:
- Look both ways and then again before crossing the street
- Walk with heads up from devices
- Use crosswalks to cross the street
- Use sidewalks: if there are none, walk to the left of the road, facing traffic
- Make eye-contact with drivers to confirm that they see you
- Decorate costumes and treat bags with reflective tape
- Use flashlights, strobe lights or glowsticks to be seen by drivers
- Dress in light or bright visible colors
- Try to use face paint instead of masks to avoid obstructing vision
- Secure loose fabric to avoid slips, trips and falls
- Drive slowly in residential areas and be extra cautious in inclement weather as visibility will be limited
- Try to eliminate distractions inside the car to focus on surroundings
- Turn on headlights earlier in the day to increase visibility
- Be aware of increased foot traffic and people crossing the street