- About Us
- History of Police Dept
History of Police Dept
Some of the tasks of the early sergeants were to collect fines and taxes, keep farm and domestic animals under control, carry out health inspections, clean the streets, call out the time, arrest drunks, and keep the peace. Another task was to maintain the oil street lamps that were located on top of tall wood poles.
The Town Charter was amended on March 16, 1916, to provide for the election of a sergeant, and the charter was changed in 1936 to allow for the position to be filled by appointment by the town council.
Some of the sergeants have been:
The number of town police officers has increased over the years, from one officer in 1929, two in 1935, four in 1947, five in 1958, 17 in 1980, 31 in 1990, 37 officers in 1999, and 57 in 2011.
The town paid $694.77 in 1941 for a new police car, an eight cylinder Ford Deluxe Tudor Sedan.
Two police officers were killed while on duty protecting the town’s citizens: Terry L. Griffith, 37, in 1994; and Scott Allen Hylton, 43, in 2003.
The police chiefs have been: