Portable generators are useful during winter storms, but if not used safely, they can cause injuries and death.
- Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows and vents.
- Make sure you have carbon monoxide alarms in your home.
- Do not use a generator in a wet area. This can cause shock or electrocution.
- Connect appliances to the generator with heavy-duty extension cords.
- Do not fuel your generator when it is running. Spilling gas on a hot engine can cause a fire.
Follow these heating safety tips to help keep your home fire safe this winter.
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from your fireplace or wood stove.
- Do not burn paper in your fireplace or wood stove.
- Put the fire out before you go to sleep or leave your home.
- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned each year by a professional.
- Put ashes in a metal container with a lid. Place the container outside at least 10 feet from your home.